The Secret to Circular Breathing

I just learned how to circular breathe! I have heard about it and read about it, listened to others do it and tried practicing it, but it has eluded me until now!!  I have only met one other person who I was aware of their ability to circular breathe, and this was the gentle and loving Michael Strathdee.

I remember him fondly, describing his process of learning how to circular breathe. At the time, he was teaching himself to play the didgeridoo.  He would lie on his back on the bed with his instrument standing tall above his lips, the didgeridoo came to rest again the wall. There was something about this position that enabled him to relax enough to finally find the rhythm in his breath. Maybe it was having the weight of the didgeridoo pressing down on his mouth, that finally created the right pressure to minimize the stream of air leaving his lips. The idea of circular breathing has fascinated me since this conversation with Michael, and almost by accident, I finally found the opportunity to practice this style of breathing.


This Easter, I set out to make Easter eggs with my daughter, I certainly didn't plan on to practicing circular breathing. I haven't blown out an egg since I was a child, so the whole process was a bit of an experiment. The outcome was very unexpected and surprisingly beautiful. By literally focusing my breath into a pinhole, feeling the resistance of the eggs contents inside the shell, I was able to keep blowing a small amount of breath into the egg. I discovered how to simultaneously breathe in through my nostrils, then fill my mouth and cheeks again to create the rhythm that is circular breathing.

When you think about blowing up a balloon, you feel the resistance against your exhale. Your cheek muscles become tight and sore as they push the air out of your mouth, assisting your lungs to exert pressure into the balloon. We often take a shallow breath, hold our breath in our lungs until we are ready to push the air into the balloon. But by relaxing and taking a deep breath, into your belly, you now can control the pressure of your exhale with your diaphragm and abdominal muscles, giving you more control over your exhale and more flexibility with your lips.

It is a difficult process and set of sensations to describe, but once you experience it, it makes much more sense. It was helpful for me to read this description of circular breathing as to have a basic understanding of the process before I found the opportunity to implement it. The secret is to have as much resistance against your breath as possible.



From my own experience I would describe the steps as follows.

1. Holding your instrument (or egg!) against your closed lips, take a deep breath in.
2. Holding your breath, blow up your cheeks with air.
3. Exhale very slowly through your lips, making a very fine stream of air.
4. Play around with the various muscles associated with this exhale, your cheeks, tongue, abdominal and diaphragm. Each one will influence your breath. You may need to finish your exhale through your nose as your breath is exhausted.
5. Inhale deeply through your nose and keep your cheeks blown up.
6. As you get the feeling for maintaining a constant stream of air through your lips, you can start to take quick inhale breaths through your nose, and so begins circular breathing!
7. The more comfortable you become with this breathing pattern, the longer or more efficient your inhale breaths will become.

Now go exercise your breath!

Kerri

Comments

Popular Posts