Lovers Nose

Things are about to get personal, just a warning as many of you reading this will likely be friends and family.  So very consistently, when my husband kisses me, his nose starts to run. Lovely, I know! Nothing more appealing than a snotty kiss! But as it turns out, I should be ever grateful for his ability to turn on the tap when he is near me, as it is a very good indication that even after almost 8 years of marriage, he still feels like we are on our honeymoon, or at lease part of his nervous system does.


There really is a condition called Honeymoon Rhinitis. It can even trigger sexually induced sneezing, and has the potential to produce asthma attacks with orgasms.  As it turns out, our noses have erectile tissue in them.  As we are sexually aroused, just as our sexual organs swell, so does this tissue in our nose, causing nasal congestion and secretions.

 As shocked as I am to discover this fact, I guess it should come as no surprise, since our emotions seem commonly linked to our nasal secretions. Sadness, excitement and fear for example all increase lubrication or dry up nasal passages.  And my husband is not alone, he is in good company with many others experiencing similar, awkward kisses. "I honestly thought I was the only one who occasionally suffers from acute embarrassment when I kiss, but as I recently found out, I am not alone. Four out of five Smittenbloggers can relate to my misfortune. (Phew!)"

As with left or right nostril dominance, this all relates back to the activity of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system.
"The autonomic nervous system has two branches: the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system is often considered the "fight or flight" system, while the parasympathetic nervous system is often considered the "rest and digest" or "feed and breed" system. In many cases, both of these systems have "opposite" actions where one system activates a physiological response and the other inhibits it."  Therefore, when we experience sexual arousal, our "feed and breed" system is stimulated, creating increased nasal secretions. Just as when we are fearful, our "fight or flight" system dries out our nostrils. 

Breathing is involuntary most of the time as dictated by our autonomic nervous system, just like it also controls our cardiac functions, vasomotor activity, and a good number of reflexes like swallowing. But what happens when we learn to voluntary control our breath? As we continue this study of the breath we will discover how being conscious of our breath has many unforeseen benefits. Some of which include calming an anxious mind, deepening a stretch, controlling pain and increasing the intensity of orgasm.

Stay tuned as I answer the question everyone is asking, how do you increase the intensity of an orgasm with breath?

Until next time, keep exercising your breath.

Kerri

Comments

Popular Posts